Trashy to Classy Vol. 3

I have spent the last few days sweating it out in the garage and busting my booty to finish a bunch of projects. Hence, the influx of blog posts. I am a bad blogger and don’t schedule my posts for a certain day of the week (I’m too impatient to wait.) or try to blog every day (I’d rather just post when I have the content, instead of trying to scrape together something stupid as a filler- my posts might still be stupid, but that’s a whole ‘nother story. haha!). One day, I’ll grow up to be a big girl, er, blogger and change my ways. But for now, here is part of the post flood:

Side note: After writing this post and that little spiel, I have decided to try to be more scheduled about my posts. I think I will try to release a new post every Friday… and a “bonus” day in between if I get too impatient. As a reader, do you like a more scheduled blog? Let me know!

One of my curbside finds from the last few weeks was this end table:

Image

It has some particle board pieces that had some damage, and the color wasn’t ideal, but nothing a little paint and some distressing couldn’t spruce up. (And, check out that cool drawer pull- unique shape and great patina!) Hey, in my book, it doesn’t have to be perfect, it just has to be better than it was before. 🙂

To paint it I first had to take the hardware off and then, prime the whole thing. I had to use a primer suitable to all surfaces since this had wood, composite, metal, whatever that woven stuff is, etc. Usually I use Zinnser’s Bulls Eye, but this time Rustoleum Painter’s Touch spray primer in gray did the trick.

I then painted it with regular old Behr latex paint in “Silver Screen” that I had on hand.

I didn’t cover all of the woven looking top with white, I let some of the gray show through there to give it some dimension and contrast.

Distressed the edges with a sander, popped the hardware back on and she was ready to go on Craigslist. This table was a freebie, and I used materials that I had on hand so this is really a no risk way to try to make a little extra money (that I just put back into materials and new pieces, generally).

NOTE: The paint job on this piece had a lot of blemishes. It was hot and the paint was drying too quickly. To remedy this problem I added Floetrol (less than $7 in the paint section at Home Depot) to the paint before I did the second coat. It mixes in with the paint to extend dry time and make it go on smoother.  My second coat went on like butter and I was able to hide a lot of the imperfections that way. What I can’t hide with a second coat of paint- that’s where I always start my distressing and sand all those little oopsies away! It doesn’t have to be perfect- don’t stress, DISTRESS!

Here’s the end result:

Image

Image

Image

Seriously, let me know what you think about that whole scheduled posts debacle!
What do you like better- sporadic posts when the content is there, or more scheduled posts (like one day a week)?!

Gimme that booty!

… Pirate’s booty, that is. I have a new kind-of-vintage-pirate-esque place to stash my booty… or in our case, an amazingly comfortable old pillow and comforter that we use to snuggle up on the couch.

Image

Image

Image

Honestly, it’s not going to stay styled like that. I pulled those little doodads off of another bookcase just for picture taking. Like I said, this was made to house a blanket that we use every day. So putting pretty things on top of the lid just isn’t that practical/functional for us. But it’s easy to dress up if you are having company, or decorate if you use it as a little side table- as long as you don’t need to access what’s inside on a regular basis. But, for us blanket storage was the name of the game, see:

Image

Forgive the messy interior upholstery, but I really didn’t care too much about the inside’s aesthetic appeal and I was reallyyy ready to be done with this project and have it in the house. (Not to mention get the heck out of the 100000 degree heat of my garage. Seriously yall, Charleston is HOT.)

So here is what I did:

1.) Bought an old trunk at a flea market (a STEAL for $7.50!)

2.) Cleaned that sucker up- it had spider webs, old radio station stickers and just general nastiness. (When cleaning out old furniture, get nice and cozy with the attachments to your vacuum. They are your new BFFs.)

3.) Painted the inside of the trunk. (Optional, but it was stained up and ugly and we wanted as much of a barrier as possible between our blanket and the old wood that was inside this trunk.)

4.) Bought an old end table with a warped, awful, water damaged particle board top for $1 at a yard sale. The wooden legs were DEFINITELY worth the $1.

5.) Unscrewed the legs from the old table.

6.) Attached the legs to the bottom of the trunk, lined up with each corner. I used 3 #12 screws  (Home Depot) for each leg- those things are seriously heavy duty. (I wish I could say I used more of a calculated scientific approach with this but really I just screwed them on until they didn’t wiggle *too much* anymore.)

7.) Primed then, painted the legs Behr Stealth Jet (flat finish), let them dry and then rubbed on some Behr Broadway (also flat finish) to give them a little more dimension and darken them up a bit.

trunk1

7.) While they were drying, Ben helped staple some vinyl material inside the trunk to cover up the old plywood. (I didn’t want the old plywood touching my blanket… splinters, invisible oldness, just yuck.) This turned out… interesting, kind of randomly, crookedly pieced together and overly stapled. So I stapled over it with some black fabric I had some extra of lying around. Still not a beautiful upholstery job, but no one is going to see it and it serves its protect-the-blanket-purpose.

Ben helping before the inside turned into Franken-box:trunk2

8.) Distressed the legs with my B&D mouse sander and… viola! The treasure chest is booty ready!

Let me know what other ways you would use a cool, old trunk!!