… Pirate’s booty, that is. I have a new kind-of-vintage-pirate-esque place to stash my booty… or in our case, an amazingly comfortable old pillow and comforter that we use to snuggle up on the couch.
Honestly, it’s not going to stay styled like that. I pulled those little doodads off of another bookcase just for picture taking. Like I said, this was made to house a blanket that we use every day. So putting pretty things on top of the lid just isn’t that practical/functional for us. But it’s easy to dress up if you are having company, or decorate if you use it as a little side table- as long as you don’t need to access what’s inside on a regular basis. But, for us blanket storage was the name of the game, see:
Forgive the messy interior upholstery, but I really didn’t care too much about the inside’s aesthetic appeal and I was reallyyy ready to be done with this project and have it in the house. (Not to mention get the heck out of the 100000 degree heat of my garage. Seriously yall, Charleston is HOT.)
So here is what I did:
1.) Bought an old trunk at a flea market (a STEAL for $7.50!)
2.) Cleaned that sucker up- it had spider webs, old radio station stickers and just general nastiness. (When cleaning out old furniture, get nice and cozy with the attachments to your vacuum. They are your new BFFs.)
3.) Painted the inside of the trunk. (Optional, but it was stained up and ugly and we wanted as much of a barrier as possible between our blanket and the old wood that was inside this trunk.)
4.) Bought an old end table with a warped, awful, water damaged particle board top for $1 at a yard sale. The wooden legs were DEFINITELY worth the $1.
5.) Unscrewed the legs from the old table.
6.) Attached the legs to the bottom of the trunk, lined up with each corner. I used 3 #12 screws (Home Depot) for each leg- those things are seriously heavy duty. (I wish I could say I used more of a calculated scientific approach with this but really I just screwed them on until they didn’t wiggle *too much* anymore.)
7.) Primed then, painted the legs Behr Stealth Jet (flat finish), let them dry and then rubbed on some Behr Broadway (also flat finish) to give them a little more dimension and darken them up a bit.
7.) While they were drying, Ben helped staple some vinyl material inside the trunk to cover up the old plywood. (I didn’t want the old plywood touching my blanket… splinters, invisible oldness, just yuck.) This turned out… interesting, kind of randomly, crookedly pieced together and overly stapled. So I stapled over it with some black fabric I had some extra of lying around. Still not a beautiful upholstery job, but no one is going to see it and it serves its protect-the-blanket-purpose.
8.) Distressed the legs with my B&D mouse sander and… viola! The treasure chest is booty ready!
Let me know what other ways you would use a cool, old trunk!!